The collection includes many items that are fragile and in delicate condition, and therefore require special handling. Visitors are requested to abide by the following guidelines:
- Upon entering the room, guests should sign the register and check bags, purses, and briefcases with the attendant.
- Food and beverages are not permitted.
- Due to the age and condition of many of the books, only trained attendants may remove materials from the shelves.
- Readers wishing to consult specific materials for scholarly purposes may request a reader’s application form.
- Because of the unique nature of the items, materials in the Rare Book Room do not circulate.